A few months ago we asked you give us some ‘Did you know’ facts and you guys did! And since you might want to start 2013 with gaining some
useless facts knowledge, we have listed some facts in this post. We had a look at the tasks you send in and did you know that..
… most facts were found on the Internet, but also book and television shows (specifically QI) provided Roamlers with facts.
… Wikipedia was most populair to use as a source, followed by @uberfacts.
Did you know this about communication and technology?
– There are more mobile phones in Ireland than there is people.
– One google search uses the computing power of the entire Apollo space mission.
– If ‘Apple’ were a country, it would rank as the world’s 68th biggest.
– 44% of kids in America watch tv before going to sleep.
– If you perform a google search for Chuck Norris with I’m feeling lucky, you will be met with the Google response “Google won’t search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don’t find chuck Norris, he finds you.”
– Satellite navigation works using the space time continuum so that we actually get to the right place at the right time. Otherwise the times would be unsynchronised.
- Did you know… that the eye of an ostrich is larger than it’s brain?
- Did you know… Houdini actually trained his pet dog to escape from a miniature set of handcuffs?
- Did you know… the average lead pencil will draw a line 35 miles long?
- Did you know… that if you turn a polarized lens to a 90 degrees angle the image you could see disappears?
- Did you know… a two pence coin weighs 7.13g?
- Did you know that the first pocketknife (or. Penknife) was found to exist over 2000 years ago?
- Did you know… that you should never pass food from chopsticks to chopsticks because it resembles a Japanese funeral tradition?
- Did you know… in 1886 Coca-Cola was founded and was believed that it could be used like medicine to relieve pain and exhaustion? (and on a related note:)
- Did you know… that Scotland is the only country where Coca-Cola is outsold by another drink: irn bru?
- Did you know… there are 6448 different types of moulds of Lego bricks produced?
- Did you know… that lemons contain more sugar than strawberries?
- Did you know… the M4 motorway has the only dual-numbered junction in the UK (8/9)?
- Did you know… the Body Mass Index (BMI) was never intended to be an indicator of health?
- Did you know… the bells in Liverpool cathedral are the heaviest in the world?
- Did you know… wearing a wig may be safer than a helmet? Due to drivers perceiving them as as women and hence being more vulnerable.
- Did you know… that Ralph Lauren’s original name was Ralph Lifshitz?
- Did you know… that the Anglo-Zanzibar War is the shortest war in history, lasting only 38 minutes…?
- Did you know… 85 percent of smokers wish they’d never started?
- Did you know… there is a lake named “Lake Disappointment” in Australia?
- Did you know… lipsticks contain fish scales?
- Did you know… oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 50 years old or older?
- Did you know… ‘Topolono’ is the name for Micky Mouse in Italy?
- Did you know… that not all birds sing/whistle, there is actually a bird discovered that barks like a dog?
- Did you know… a golden razor removed from Tutankhamen’s tomb over 3000 years after his death was still sharp enough for use?
- Did you know.. that the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth is called Arachibutyrophobia?
- Did you know… a turtles shell is made up of 50 bones instead of one?
- Did you know… that a solar panel works in reverse at night and without blocking diodes would use electric through the night?
- Did you know… that if a bat is hanging upside down it can only have one eye open? If it opens both it will fall.
- Did you know… that “karate” means “empty hand”?
- Did you know… snails breathe through their feet?
- Did you know… that haute couture was born, not in Paris, but in the small market town of Bourne in Lincolnshire, birthplace of Charles Frederick Worth?
- Did you know… there are as many chickens on earth as there are humans?
- Did you know… a blue whales tongue weighs more than an elephant?
- Did you know… that the word posh came from P.O.S.H.? Meaning port out starboard home. For the well to do who could afford the better side on their travels.
- Did you know… a giraffe eats upto 75 pounds of food a day?
- Did you know… the Netherlands has only 0.008% of the world’s area, with roughly 480 inhabitants per square kilometre?
- Did you know… that a banana is a herb? It’s technically regarded as a herbaceous plant.
- Did you know… there are over 19,000 listed buildings in the British capital?
- Did you know… penguins get their name from the Latin word for fat which is pinguis?
- Did you know… that a giraffes kick is so string that it can decapitate a lion?
- Did you know… you can only taste food with saliva?
- Did you know… adding milk to a cup of tea keeps it warmer for longer than tea with no milk?
- Did you know… that unlike other rodents, guinea pigs are born furry and with their eyes open?
- Did you know… James Bond has killed 150 men and slept with 44 women since the first movie in 1962?
- Did you know… that every hour, about 12,500 puppies are born in the U.S.?
- Did you know… shoe size in the UK is measured in barleycorns, a unit of measurement that dates back to the 10th century? One barleycorn is one-third of an inch.
- Did you know… 14th September is the saint’s day of Saint Crescentius of Rome who was martyred in AD 300?
- Did you know… Wrigleys gum was the first product sold in a supermarket with a bar code? It was a 10 pack of wrigleys juicy fruit gum.
- Did you know… that Jaffa cakes, even though they taste orange, are actually made from apricots?
- Did you know… in the Gilbert Islands in the Pacific people don’t say ‘hellish’ they rub noses instead?
- Did you know… when Shrek the musical first started it took the make up team 3 1/2 hours to do the make up Shrek. They can now do it in 1 1/2!
- Did you know… the first coffee house to open in Europe was in Venice in 1645?
- Did you know.. freestyle karate is an American martial art adapted from the traditional martial arts to be faster and better for general sport fighting?
- Did you know… fleas have killed more people than all of mans wars combined, in the 14th century fleas transmitted the black death to more than a quater of Europe?
- Did you know… Pumbaa from the Lion King, was the first Disney character to ‘fart’ in a disney movie?
- Did you know… an albatross bird can fly for 3 miles with a single flat of it’s wings ?
- Did you know… that pineapples grow on the ground and not on trees?
- Did you know… the word “listen” contains the same letters as the word “silent”?
- Did you know… the longest recorded flight of a chicken is 13 seconds?
- Did you know… Stalin and Hitler hated jazz music and considered it detrimental to civilised society, while Mussolini was an eager estimator of the genre?
- Did you know… that an elephant is the only mammal that can’t jump?
- Did you know… Dolphins sleep with one eye open?
- Did you know… Coke used to originally be green?
- Did you know… that Donna Summer wrote her top 10 hit “she works hard for the Money” in the bathroom?
- Did you know… that cows can’t walk down stairs?